Ever since I can remember, I have loved to read! I believe it started as a child when my Grandma Dyann would always buy me books for Christmas instead of toys haha! Or maybe my love for reading developed because I am naturally introverted, and reading gives me the opportunity to channel out the world and have my own alone time. Nonetheless, I enjoy tapping into my imagination with fiction novels, but my favorite genre is non-fiction because I can read about a variety of interesting topics such as Sociology (my major in college), African-American history, and books on Christian theology that help me go deeper into my relationship with Jesus. I decided that I wanted to start a series where I am able to share what I’m reading along with key points that I’ve gained from the book. I love quotes so I will also include my favorite quotes from the book! To start the series I am covering “Gospel:Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary “ by J.D. Greear. Check out my journal and Welcome to the “Beyond the Cover” series!
- The Spirit of God uses the beauty of the gospel to awaken in our hearts a desire for God.
- Love for God grows out of an experience of the love of God.
- The Gospel has done its work in us when we crave God more than we crave everything else in life.
Part 2: The Gospel Prayer
- My identity and my security are in God’s acceptance of me given as a gift in Christ.
- We are changed not by being told what we need to do for God, but by hearing the news about what God has done for us.
- Gospel change is the Spirit of God using the story of God to make the beauty of God come alive in our hearts.
- Believing the Gospel is not only the way we become Christians, it is the power that enables us to do, every moment of every day , the very things Jesus commands us to do.
- Those people who really believe the gospel become like the gospel.
Part 3: Toward a Gospel-Centered Understanding of Life
- “Gospel-centered” is not moving past the gospel, but continually going deeper into it.
- Disciplining ourselves to do what we don’t always want to do helps us learn to love the things we should love.
- The gospel is not good advice about how to live;it is good news about what God has done.
My Favorite Quotes
Becoming a follower of Jesus means having your heart so enraptured by the beauty, majesty, and value of God’s gift of Himself to you that knowing and pleasing Him becomes the one driving passion of your heart. Even if it costs you everything else.
You have made us for Yourself, Lord. Our hearts are restless, until they find their rest in You. -St.Augustine
When you really believe the gospel, you see that you are first a sinner and only secondarily sinned against.
“Religion tells you to go and change; the gospel changes you on the spot.”
The quote above has to be my favorite out of them all because I have found it to be true as I have been studying the gospel. I have never felt such a change and awakening in my heart since becoming a Christian. I know that as I continue to dive deeper in the Gospel I will not be the same. I am already seeing its life changing effects on my heart.
To Read or Not to Read:
I say READ! I encourage anyone who wants to grow in their knowledge of what the gospel’s purpose is in the life of a Christian to go pick up this book ASAP!
Do you enjoy reading? If so let me know what you are reading at the moment?